Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Books!

I've just ordered two new books. I really, *really* love books. I think it's how my horse-crazy self survived for the first twelve years of my life when I didn't have a horse. And probably how I saved my sorry butt once I did get one, because thankfully I knew a lot more than I would have if I didn't read horse books all the time. (Of course, what I did know still wasn't very much).

Anyway, these are the two books I ordered:
Long Reining: The Saumur Method by Philippe Karl
Training the Horse In Hand: The Classical Iberian Principles by Alfons Dietz.

They both look really interesting. I know they go way further than I have the ability to go as far as high-level stuff in-hand -- I just don't have the expertise/experience/instruction -- but I love working from the ground. It slows things down, helps the horse understand what you want without a rider, and makes you REALLY think about everything you do and how it affects your horse.

I'm interested to work more with long reining. I've done a little, and I ground drove Bailey all over the property on days where I didn't feel like riding, but I'd really like to try some more. I think McKinna especially will benefit from it, because she gets anxious when she doesn't understand what I want: she really is a sensitive, thinking horse. Working from the ground I feel gives her more of an intellectual workout, making us both really think about what's going on.

So I'm excited for my books to get here! I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails